As of September 8, 2009 the Microbiology department will NO longer phone the following results on outpatient specimens:
1. Oxacillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus
2. Vancomycin resistant Enterococcus species
3. ESBL producing organisms
4. Carbapenemase producing organisms
5. Positive Clostridium difficile toxin results
6. Negative Rapid Group A Strep, Influenza A&B, or RSV antigen results
Other changes and comments:
1. Positive results of Rapid Group A Streptococcus, Influenza A&B, and RSV testing performed after office hours will be phoned the following morning instead of calling the on call provider.
2. Patients with organisms 1-4 listed above will be required to be in isolation rooms upon admission to the hospital until deemed cleared of the organism by Infection Control. You may want to let your patient be aware of this practice if admission is likely.
Results are available electronically. The results are also available by phoning the laboratory at 763-6116. These results are not considered to be critical and will save time for both the laboratory and provider offices. Thank you.